Henry Schein donates more than 10 million PPE itemsNews
Posted by: The Probe 10th March 2021
Henry Schein, Inc., the world’s largest provider of health care solutions to office-based dental and medical practitioners, has donated more than 10 million items of personal protective equipment (PPE) and supplies worth millions of dollars to enhance the safety of front-line health care professionals, social service providers, under-served populations, and people with intellectual disabilities.
The donation includes face shields, hand sanitiser, isolation gowns, thermometers, coveralls, and face masks, and will be received by seven Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) who will distribute the supplies in more than 40 countries and territories.
Henry Schein’s global distribution and supply chain network managed the donation working through Henry Schein Cares, the Company’s corporate social responsibility program. The recipients are Americares; Direct Relief; International College of Dentists; MAP International; MedShare; Project HOPE; and Special Olympics. These NGOs will receive the PPE and distribute the items among hospitals, long-term care facilities, outreach and partner clinics, and free and charitable clinics helping to provide primary and oral care, maternal and child health, and infectious disease control and prevention in the U.S. and worldwide. Donations will also support the current response to the Covid-19 pandemic and be pre-positioned in preparation for other disease outbreaks and humanitarian crises as well as natural disasters.
“This donation reflects our continued sense of purpose and commitment to values that make the world a better place,” said Stanley M. Bergman, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Henry Schein, Inc. “In keeping with our higher ambition of aligning our capabilities with the needs of society, we aim to ‘help health happen’ by enhancing health equity, improving access to care, and providing for the safety of health care professionals and patients. Henry Schein is pleased to be working with our valued NGO partners in this important endeavour.”
Henry Schein’s NGO partners in this effort are as follows:
- Americares is a health-focused relief and development organisation that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster;
- Direct Relief is a humanitarian aid organisation, active in all 50 states and more than 80 countries, with a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies – without regard to politics, religion, or ability to pay;
- The International College of Dentists is the preeminent global dental honour society recognising outstanding professional achievement and meritorious service while advocating for humanitarian and educational initiatives;
- MAP International is a non-profit humanitarian organisation providing medicines and health supplies to millions of people worldwide so they might experience life to the fullest;
- MedShare is a 501c(3) humanitarian aid organisation dedicated to improving the quality of life of people, communities, and our planet by sourcing and directly delivering surplus medical supplies and equipment to communities in need around the world;
- Project HOPE is a global health and humanitarian relief organisation that is committed to placing power in the hands of local health care workers to save lives across the globe; and,
- Special Olympics is a global movement of people creating a new world of inclusion and community, where every single person is accepted and welcomed, regardless of ability or disability.